Netanyahu announces holiday lockdown, closure to start Friday
September 13, 2020
Following a contentious meeting between ministers and health officials Sunday afternoon, the Israeli government has decided to impose a second lockdown on the country but with less strident conditions as previously proposed.
Under the new directives announced by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference in Jerusalem, which is set to take place on September 18 and last for three weeks or until October 9, essential workers will continue to work as usual while limits will be placed on non-essential employees.
Private sector workers, Netanyahu said, can continue operating their businesses given that they do not interact with customers. Schools will also be closed during this period.
Netanyahu also said special arrangements will be made for the observant public that ensure safety standards that will be made public at a later time.
Gatherings will be restricted to 10 indoors, 20 indoors, with Netanyahu emphasizing: “This may be the most important thing.”
Netanyahu also said that restrictions on movement will also be imposed, limiting individuals to only 500 meters away from their homes.